Thursday, September 29, 2011

Basic yeasted bread

My very first attempt at making my own bread and I'm so pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.  In the process of making this loaf, I was chatting with a friend and forgot to add the oil and salt... so being encouraged by my friend to go ahead and add it at the end, I did.. and it still came out fabulous.  I'm now convinced it's the "can't mess up bread".   I guess the true test will be in the making of my next loaf.  

 1 t. active dry yeast
1 1/3 cups lukewarm (95 -105 degrees) non-chlorinated water
1 t. sugar, barley malt syrup or honey (I used sugar)
2 T. olive oil
2 T. fine sea salt
3/4 cup whole wheat flour or whole rye flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
3 cups unbleached white bread flour

1. In a bowl, combine the yeast, water, and sugar.  Stir to blend and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.  Stir in oil and salt.

2.  Add all of the whole wheat flour and enough of the white flour to form a ragged mass of dough.  Scoop the dough out onto a clean, lightly floured surface.  Wash out the bowl and thoroughly clean and dry your hands.


3.  Knead the dough for 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.


4.  Lightly coat the inside of the bowl with oil.  Turn the dough over several times in the bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap.  (I used aluminum foil with a large rubber band around it to keep it closed)

After kneading for 10 minutes
 5.  Refrigerate the dough for at least 12, or up to 48, hours

This is the dough after 2 days of resting in the refrigerator
6. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature, about two hours

7.  To shape the dough for a loaf,  gently press it into a 1-inch-thick circle.  Fold the top third of the dough over and press to form a seam in the middle of the circle.  Frol the bottom third to meet the seam and press firmly with your fingers to seal.  Flip the dough over and tuck in the edges.  Place the dough, seam side down, in a lightly greased loaf pan.

Cover the dough with a damp towel and set aside for about 1 hour, or until the dough rises an inch above the pan.  Uncover the dough and gently brush the top with oil or melted butter.  Bake for 45 minutes at 400 degrees until it sounds hollow when tapped underneath or the internal temperature reaches 200 degrees.  

 8.  Turn the bread out onto a rack to cool for at least 45 minutes before slicing.
So pretty and made the house smell wonderful.
 Recipe from:  The modern vegetarian kitchen by Peter Berley  ...  I received this great cookbook many years ago from Terry and Chery Parker :)  I still love it!  Thanks so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment