Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Eggplant, Roma tomato & Basil

2 small eggplants
Olive oil
4 roma tomatoes
basil leaves
salt, pepper & garlic powder
spinach & garlic cloves (opt.)

I peeled and sliced my roma tomatoes lengthwise and set aside.

I sliced my eggplant lengthwise in 1/4 inch slices.. sprinkled with salt and sat aside for 20 mins. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels and place on your baking sheet.

I sprayed olive oil on each side of my eggplant slice.. sprinkled garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place under broiler for 6 or so minutes and then flip over and repeat on the other side until you get your desired doneness. I like mine a bit charred :)

Once done, place tomato and basil leaf...

and roll.. Place baking sheet back in the oven just long enough to heat the tomato and basil...

Meanwhile.. I chopped my fresh garlic and sauteed in a bit of olive oil until fragrant..

threw a couple handfuls of spinach and cooked on low until wilted

Put spinach on plate and place your eggplant rolls on top and ENJOY!


Although it was super delicious, my only wish would be that eggplants were seedless. I spent a lot of time separating the seeds from my bite. Would I have this again? Definitely! It was very quick to prepare. This recipe was adapted from The Practical Encyclopedia of Whole Foods by Nicola Graimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment