Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Zucchini sweet relish

My Aunt Cathy gave me these beautiful zucchinis and it was a great opportunity to fill the cupboard with my favorite sweet relish. 


4 large zucchini
4 cups onions (about 5)
2 green peppers
4 T. salt

 Cut zucchini in half and take out seeds.  Don't peel.  Using your food processor, grind up 10 cups of zucchini.  (or you can use the small side of  a shredder)

 Grind your onions, green pepper and add to a large bowl.

 Add your salt and stir well. Cover and let stand in the refrigerator overnight.
 Rinse in cold water gently, squeeze out excess water and place in a large pan.  (I use my black canning kettle) 

 Add..

2 1/2 cups white vinegar
5 cups sugar
1 t. dry mustard
2 T. cornstarch
2 t. celery seed
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. tumeric

Mix well and cook at a low boil for 30 minutes.  Pack into jars.  One batch makes about 8 pints.  I pressure cook my jars 5 lbs. for 5 minutes.. just long enough to get them to seal. We use this for tarter sauce, on top of Boca burgers and veggie hotdogs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment