Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Baked kale

I have discovered my new favorite "great for you" snack..  I've been hearing from a dear friend how wonderful baked kale chips were and have never even seen them at the grocery store.  I was a super lucky and loved recipient of a huge bag of kale from my aunts garden.  (can you say favorite niece?:)  now, said dear friend is a bit jealous of my bounty...  but still my biggest fan...

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and simply tear the kale into bite side pieces, discarding the hard middle stem, and place on a light colored baking sheet.  (The first time I tried this I put them on my dark "seasoned" cookie sheet and drizzled olive olive oil on top and burnt it... you may better luck.)  Sprinkle with salt.

Some of the kale stalks were the size of my arm
Place in the oven for 5 minutes and take it out and make sure they're not sticking to the bottom and move them around a bit.  Put back in the oven for 5 minutes..  they should be very green and very crispy and dry.. I took off what was done and put the others back in for a minute or two. 

As you can see the taste testing of the kale chips leaves huge gaps on the cookie sheet :)
Place them on a plate and season them with whatever you like... we had them so far with nutritional yeast and with just plain salt.  Delicious!  They are melt in your mouth, crispy, and wonderful.. they even remind me of roasted pumpkin seeds.  If you've never had kale chips.. it is worth trying and a really quick and nutritious snack to whip up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment